[TR] Tuning question and 1 oil question

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu May 20 22:55:09 MDT 2010

> While we're on the subject, I run my TR3A at 5 BTDC, and get
> spark knock. Should I try 8 to 10 BTDC?

No, that's the wrong direction.  If you are getting spark knock, you need to
retard the timing; so try 3 BTDC.

> I have been blaming the gas that's available in Ga

Very likely.

> , I am also
> thinking of changing to Pertronix.
> What is the general concensus on the Pertronix, I have read
> that many have switched and like it.

I tried it on my TR3.  Worked better than the 30 year old points & condenser
it replaced.  But not as good as the lightly used points & condenser I found
in the parts bin.  At least for the moment, I put the Pertronix back in the
bin and I'm running on points.  The car starts noticeably quicker, and is
less picky about where the choke is set.  After switching back to points, I
also need to lower the fast idle cam, as the cold idle is faster as well.

But as you say, many have had better luck than I did.  I have no idea why;
haven't taken the time to really dig into the subject.

Randall