[TR] Tuning question and 1 oil question

thenicholls at verizon.net thenicholls at verizon.net
Thu May 20 19:01:49 MDT 2010

Randal,

As always, you keep me working.  Changed tonight to 12 degress BTDC and it seems good.  Got to 10 MPH and put it in fourth and floored it, no pinging.  Definitely smelled some gas, but engine was good.

I will drive at 12 for a while, and maybe go back to 14 to see.

Thanks again to the list...........Craig

On May 20, 2010, Randall <tr3driver at ca.rr.com> wrote:

> So my
> question is, if I want to get it better should I be moving toward 12
> degress BTDC or 16?  Or, since it is running great, should I leave it
> alone?

This is more of a philosophical question, IMO.  Personally, I like to find
the point where I can just force the engine to ping (by lugging it down in
high gear, with it almost overheated; kind of a torture test) and then back
off a few degrees.

But since you are already somewhat faster than the original specification,
and it seems to be working well, there is a lot to be said for just leaving
it alone.  Also, to my way of thinking, 14 is already pretty fast.  While
going to say, 16, might find another 1% in fuel mileage and power (assuming
it doesn't lead to audible knock); it also risks damaging the starter or
even a piston if you happen to find some inaudible knock.

However, I still recall how I felt after losing a piston to knock I could
not hear (due to other circumstances, not directly from too-fast timing)
http://tinyurl.com/25l899z
so you might say I'm a little gun-shy.

> What kind of oil?  3M, Wd40, 20w50 Castrol?

I generally use motor oil, as I keep a squirt can of it on the bench.  WD40
is a poor choice IMO as it is mostly solvent that evaporates and doesn't
leave much oil behind.  ISTR the TR3 owner's manual actually mentions some
motor oils as being suitable.  "3 in 1" is pretty light, but would probably
be OK.

Just doing the oiling is a lot more important than what you use, though, so
if WD40 or 3in1 is what you have, go ahead and oil it now.

-- Randall

Triumphs at autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47