[TR] Tuning question and 1 oil question

thenicholls at verizon.net thenicholls at verizon.net
Thu May 20 11:05:54 MDT 2010

To the list,

Working on my 1972 Triumph TR6.

>From my last tuneup, I have Petronix undercap, I set spark plug gap at .035 and with the vacuum plugged, set the timing to 10 degress BTDC.  Ran great.

Then, at some point after reading to much list stuff, I set the plug gap to .030 but do not have a record of the timing.

Last night, I warmed up the car well, put a light on it, and it was running 14 degrees BTDC with vacuum plugged.  Removed the existing spark plugs, replace with the same NGK BP6ES gapped at .025 which is the spec.  Checked timing again, still 14 BTDC.  Took the car out for a real test, went to fourth gear and pushed it to the floor, no pinging, no hiccup, ran smooth.  This method was also in the list.  So my question is, if I want to get it better should I be moving toward 12 degress BTDC or 16?  Or, since it is running great, should I leave it alone?

Second question, going through maint. stuff like lubricate the pedals, lubricate rods that control gas to the carbs, the book says lube with "oil".  What kind of oil?  3M, Wd40, 20w50 Castrol?  I just want to make a pass accross all the oil points but I want to make sure I use what is preferred.

Thanks in advance,

Craig H. Nicholls
1972 Triumph TR6