[TR] Oil Seals

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Mar 29 18:18:42 MST 2010

> I may be wrong here, but I recall something about wrong specs for the
> crank grind for the modern seal.

Yup, been lots of folks burned by that one.  If you search the archives, I
think you'll find several posts on the subject, including a suggestion to
modify the spring in the new seal.  There's also a tech article on the TRSC
web site giving a half dozen or so other things to check for.

Oddly enough, the scroll seal was actually intended as an improvement.
Considering that some of us are still running the original seal over 50
years later I think testifies that the goal was met!  With the seal
materials and technology available at the time these engines were designed,
most seals would be leaking significantly by 30,000 miles.  The biggest
problems with it are the later so-called PCV systems that allow pressure to
build up in the crankcase; and a typographical error in the workshop manual.

-- Randall