[TR] Learning to drive standard

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Mar 29 14:43:52 MST 2010

> >first manual transmission I ever drove...
>
> ...was a VW Automatic Stick Shift.  There may have been alcohol
> involved.  I never did quite figure it out.

A strange creation indeed.  Microswitches in the shift lever were supposed
to detect when you grabbed it, and automagically disengage the
vacuum-operated clutch.  The torque converter took care of stopping and any
speed mismatch, so the clutch could simply be engaged fairly rapidly when
you let go of the lever.

I had one briefly, but never got it working properly.  The starter ring gear
was apparently originally spot-welded to the torque converter housing, and
the welds were broken.  The fellow that gave it to me had never had a title
for it, so when it got towed away (due to bogus registration), I just let it
go.

All things considered, I'd rather have an A-type <G>

-- Randall