[TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 4, Issue 117

TRDOCTOR at aol.com TRDOCTOR at aol.com
Sun Mar 28 12:20:58 MST 2010

Here's how I taught my wife to drive a standard tranny.  I sold her  1972
Buick Skylark (in 1976) and bought a 4-speed 1972 Boss 351  Mustang.  I
already had a 1972 Mustang 4-speed coupe.  She had no  choice but to learn.  She
was/is a good student and car nut so she did  pretty good.  I came home from
work one day and she took me to show me how  good she could drive.  We went
to a burger joint and on the way home we  were merging with traffic on I-44
when I got quite a ride.  It was misting  rain at the time and the car next
to us didn't want to move over to let us in so  she floored it.  When the
cam came on the car started to spin to the left  then the right and back to
the left where she locked the brakes and we slid  sideways down the
interstate in rush hour traffic.  The only thing I  said/yelled was "get your foot
off the freeking brake!".  I was looking  into the oncoming traffic as we slid
to a stop.  We couldn't go straight  because of a big embankment and
couldn't back up because of the oncoming traffic  zooming by us.  A trucker
finally stopped and let us back up and we were on  our way home.  I never said a
word all the way home.  She took to the  TR's like a duck to water.  We are
still married today.

Sam Clark