[TR] TR3A A-Type Overdrive Oil Change

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Sun Mar 28 06:45:47 MST 2010

In a message dated 3/28/2010 7:38:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
terryrs at comcast.net writes:
> Broke down yesterday and used a hole-sawB to drill a hole in the tranny
> cover
> over the dipstick.B  Managed not to cut into the cover switches or wires.B
>
> Will put a rubber plug in, and now I can check and add with ease!B  Good
> thing
> too.B  The oil level wasn't reading at all.B  Valvoline 20/50 racing oil
> poured in through a small funnel took 5 minutes instead of half an hour.B
> Why
> didn't I do that years ago?

Actually, the factory thought of it half a century ago.  If your TR has a
dip stick you have a transmission form an earlier car.  Or a cover from a
later car.  That feature was eliminated along with the factory provided access
hole at some point in production, not doubt to save a few pennies.  My 57
has both.

My 65 MGB (from my college days) had one, too.

Good move.

Dave