[TR] Speedo Cable options

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Mar 22 14:05:30 MST 2010

> Oh... and I have seen a 'make your own cable kit' in the HELP section
> of the FLAPS.  Comes I think with the inner cable and some parts to
> make the ends.

Last time I tried one of those, the ends were the wrong size for Triumphs.

What I wound up doing was removing the (wrong) fitting from the new outer
cable, and replacing it with the fitting from the old cable.  I slit the
crimped section open with a Dremel & cutoff tool, spread it a bit with a
screwdriver so it would slip off and on, then clamped it into place with a
small hose clamp.  Not pretty but functional.

One other point, Ed; on my 2nd Stag the "root cause" was actually the speedo
head.  It would turn well enough when cold, but had enough drag in the
bearing to get hot and seize after prolonged operation.

Randall