[TR] side tension cable?

aribert at c3net.net aribert at c3net.net
Tue Mar 16 06:18:03 MST 2010

In real life, I have been a topstack engineer (topstack is the industry
term for a convertible top assy) for about 20 years.  To my knowledge, all
modern topstacks have side tension cables.  The cable is no more than an
eyelet crimped to a 1/16 in. or 2mm steel cable that has a spring crimped
to the other end (material & labor cost less than $5 / cable asm). The
side tension cable lays in a sleeve sewn to the backside of the topcover.
THe purpose of the side tension cable is to keep the topcover tight
against the side rail thus minimizing wind noise in that area (along the
top edge of the door glass).

I have looked at attaching side tension cables to the custom Spit topcover
on my '71 Spit bodied GT6 but the frame configuration does not lend its
self to doing so.  If I could get a cable to package, it would keep the
topcover edge with its seal flap pulled tight against the door glass.

I suspect the side tension cable listing at RockAuto is a programming
error - similar to the occasional oxygen sensor listing for older cars
that never had them.

Aribert

'71 GT6, Spit body, 2.5L, triple DCOEs, GRM style custom Mazda diff & CV
joints (no more Rotoflex), custom sewn Stayfast fabric top, modified
(intended for Miata) Orris windblocker.