[TR] Solid Copper Head Gasket for TR3

Allan Reich areich at telus.net
Mon Mar 15 18:22:05 MST 2010

Greetings.
I have blown a number of head gaskets (at least 5) and have discussed
this on the list over the last couple of years. The last one blew
outside Eureka coming back from Triumphest .. this was on an engine
rebuilt completely professionally.
A well trusted source has suggested that the new gaskets are built for
83 - 87 mm pistons and can easily burn out, especially with 87 mm
pistons, which I have.
He suggested a solid copper gasket, which he uses in his tr3/tr4 racing
engines and suggest they may be the answer.
I have been on Gasket Works web site, and it seems to make sense. They
also discuss at length the o-rings required.
What are the list's opinions on solid copper head gaskets? .. also on
installing the o-rings? .. importance of specific 87mm sizing?
While it is apart, I am also planning to put in the 6 vane water pump
and try and find a 185 long thermostat and take out my drilled out brass
plug. Can't cover too many bases.
Thanks
Allan Reich
Vancouver, Canada