[TR] Oil "Mileage"

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Sun Mar 14 09:20:39 MST 2010

On 14 Mar 2010 at 7:56, Randall wrote:

> The TR3 owner's manual has a note to the effect that, when
> oil consumption exceeds 1 quart per 500 miles, you should
> use heavier oil <G>

I suppose the heavier oil was recommended because tolerances would
have opened up.  For what it's worth my experience from the old days
(with Italian engines) was that going to a heavier oil would increase
oil consumption even further, particularly if the consumption was due
to worn rings.  The heavier components wouldn't be scavenged off the
cylinder walls as completely as lighter components.  Then again, my
memory burns more oil than it use to.  In any case, in the old days
500 miles per quart was an expected worn-engine number, not great but
not uncommon.

When you measure oil mileage in MPG's you know it's time for a
rebuild.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com