[TR] Oil "Mileage"

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Mar 14 07:56:38 MST 2010

> What kind of oil mileage should I expect from a 1974 engine
> with 95,000
> miles on it.

With that kind of mileage; could be almost anything.  Excessive oil
consumption is one (of many) indicators that it's time to rebuild the
engine, and 95000 would be a pretty good lifetime while some engines will go
twice that far.

I don't think the TR6 books give an "acceptable" limit; but considering that
they say to check it every 250 miles and add over a quart if it's low, I'd
say they allowed consumption to be pretty high.  The TR3 owner's manual has
a note to the effect that, when oil consumption exceeds 1 quart per 500
miles, you should use heavier oil <G>

Randall