[TR] Distributor bits

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Mar 11 18:30:08 MST 2010

> So - how do I determine 1) if I have the right dizzy

Depends on what you mean by "right".  None of the stock factory distributors
will be optimum for the witch's brew they sell as gasoline here in the US
... Triumph never heard of "oxygenated fuel" but that is what we are stuck
with.  Good luck finding that 95 octane fuel they specified, too!  So if you
want to squeeze every last bhp & mpg from your engine, you need to have
someone like Jeff Palya (I think that's the right name, someone will correct
me if I'm wrong) recurve your distributor.

If, OTOH, you just want it to run well, then any of the stock distributors
will work well enough.  Listen for any knock or ping, and either retard the
timing or use higher octane fuel to correct the problem.  Note that this
procedure is mentioned in the driver's handbook.

The distributor number should be marked on the housing, but of course that
is no guarantee that the components have not been changed over the years.
Again, to be sure it's "right", you need to have someone actually test it
for performance, not just check the numbers stamped on the side.

I don't know what is available today, but a few years back the advance
module with the threaded fitting was NLA.  So I took mine to a local
full-line auto parts store, that was able to send it out for rebuilding.
Cost was about 3/4 that of new unit, but it looked exactly correct.  And it
still works today.

-- Randall