[TR] TR- TR all models

John Macartney macartney.john at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 6 08:37:55 MST 2010

Larry Schwartz wrote:
>List, as you probably all know by now that i am a
tr3-a man and not to be
prejudice at all  with this poll i want to conduct
is open to  all cars made
by Triumph during it's production of cars.

So, to
be clear, we're talking about *production line* fit of components/features for
*all* cars - not just sports cars (?), rather than what was fitted in Sales
Conversion *after* car pass-off from final finish at the factory or at a
dealer / national importer?

Assuming that's what's meant (and I wish I still
had my Production Control Reference Books) here goes. The majority of these
additional features were usually termed as 'territory specific' / features for
special build models / but they *were* available if a dealer enquired. Most
dealers didn't and the factory intentionally didn't go out of its way to
provide lists.
	* Low compression engines capable of running on fuel down to
78 Octane leaded Research Method
	* A range of different camshafts for low and
high comp engines in which cam profiling created narrower power and torque
bands
	* A range of different distributors to match camshafts above.
	*
Engines with increased power. Mostly these were on the 1963-1980 ish 2000 and
2500 sedans that were popular with UK police forces. As an example, the 2.5PI
sedan in normal trim produced about 130SAE at the flywheel, the police spec
did about 170 - with even better torque.
	* Engine skid plates and full
underbody skid plates for tropical markets
	* Heavy duty suspension - which
included larger shocks and stiffer coil or leaf springs
	* Variable radiator
sizes/capacities
	* Variable size heater matrices to meet differing local
market ambients - i.e. you wouldn't need a Scandinavian heater in a car
destined for a warm climate. you could get away with a cooler heater unit.
	*
"Italian" wiring looms. This was a generic for left or right hand steer cars
and the wiring loom included at least twelve main line fuses with a
multiplicity of relays for different functions. Called "Italian" because Italy
had uncompromising electrical requirements for national homologation
standards.  Often found in police cars because of the additional electrical
equipment they carred.
	* High output alternators. From memory, I think the
largest was a Lucas 50amp unit.
	* Three speed fans and wipers with the option
for Iceland and Scandinavia for a triple wiper blade set-up
	* Heavy duty
batteries
	* Side outlet exhausts. These were (obviously) shorter than a
standard system with a flattened tailpipe venting to just forward of the left
rear wheel. Often found on cars with engine or full chassis skid plates
	*
'Mecafluid' undercar lubrication system (not engine oil leak dependent!!!) and
adapted from commercial vehicle applications. Cost an arm and a leg!
	*
In-built hydraulic jacking system for Big Six saloons - another arm and leg!
* Full leather upholstery for all cars - not leather just on the wearing faces
* Polished hardwood instrument panels in walnut, yew, cherry and mahogany.
These were *solid* wood and cost a fortune
	* Overdrive on any car model -
except for 1300 and 1500 front wheel drive
	* Variable axle ratios - with or
without overdrive, allied to differing speedo heads in miles or kms. Separate
speedo heads yet again for cars with Michelin X tyres with further
permutations for the variable axle ratio and with/without overdrive.
	*
Vertical dip headlights - useful if the car was likely to see extensive use in
the UK and Europe
	* Calibrated instruments rather than dashes to show
increments or combi oil press/temp as found on MGB/Spridget
	* Variable wheel
offsets from 4.5 to 6 J
That's all I can remember of many many more at the
moment. For record purposes, my own GT6 Mk 2 (GT6+) had solid wood
mahogany instrument panel, 3.27 final drive with O/D, full leather seats,
Michelin XAS combi OP/T gauge and appropriate speedo.

Jonmac