[TR] TR Water Pump & Cooling

Michael Miles mdmiles at mdmpe.com
Thu Jun 24 13:16:21 MDT 2010

When rebuilding my TR3 motor I discovered a huge amount of rust accumulated
behind the #4 liner so I decided to examine the entire cooling system in
more detail.  In the process I found that the port into the engine block
from the water pump was ~30% blocked by casting slag left over when the
engine was originally built!

Hence, the port was opened up to match the size of the port on the water
pump itself, as well as converting from the 4-blade paddle to a 6-blade
backward curved impeller (http://www.racetorations.co.uk/index.html).  Lots
of flow with very reduced restrictions.

To paraphrase Frank Costin's "Don't punish the air" => "Don't punish the
coolant"

Mike Miles

(Morgan +4 lurker)