[TR] Uprated water pump question

D&B Lambert blambert at socal.rr.com
Thu Jun 24 12:37:39 MDT 2010

Some years ago I installed a yellow TR6 fan by shortening the stock
nosepiece on my TR3A.  I took the nosepiece to a friend with a lathe who
shortened it about 5/8 inch by cutting it and then turning a stepped
reattachment joint into it, which I then had brazed at the local welding
shop (my own welding skills are pretty marginal).  This had the effect of
moving the tr6 fan back far enough to clear the radiator nicely while
allowing the fan to be installed the correct direction.  Moss's new TR6 fan
installation kit appears to accomplish the same thing, just a bit more
elegantly (albeit more expensively).  I would heartily recommend the
conversion, as mounting the TR6 fan is the only cooling mod I have done (I
did have the original radiator rodded) and the cooling seems to function
decently so far, in pretty much any situation - LA traffic included.

The uprated water pump looks pretty similar to the one I purchased from Ken
Gillanders at BFE a few years ago.  After installation I really didn't
notice any great change in the cooling characteristics of the car, and
eventually during another nose-off repair, I changed back to a stock pump.
I have, however, heard stories from others who have had better luck with
that pump.  Of course, YMMV.

Dennis