[TR] TR4 Diff and OD Tranny Fluid

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jun 17 05:30:46 MDT 2010

> Dumb question #62 - what fluid are folks using in a TR4 rear
> diff and OD A
> type tranny.

I use Valvoline full synthetic gear oil in the diff (both TR3 which is
essentially identical to your TR4, and Stag which is only slightly
different).  This is a GL5 oil, but has none of the active sulfur additive
that can eventually damage the brass thrust washers.

For my A-type (which is a TR4 OD mated to a TR6 gearbox), I use Redline
MT-90.  Also a full synthetic, it is supposedly optimized for use in manual
transmissions, with none of the active sulfur.

The Redline is a bit pricey though (typically around $15/quart though I
managed to find a few quarts for half that on flea-bay).  In the past, I
have used Valvoline Racing (motor) oil, the "not street legal" stuff, in
20W50, which I regard as a close second to the MT-90.  It works fine,
protects the gears and thrust washers (no sulfur additive) and gives more
consistent shifting between hot & cold than the 90 weight does.  (Shifting a
box with cold 90 weight in it feels like stirring molasses.)  Recommended by
both Herman van den Akker (before he focused completely on Toyota
conversions) and Ken Gillanders at British Frame and Engine (a TR racing
parts supplier).

Other's opinions will vary, but that is what I use.

Randall
56 TR3  TS13571L current project
59 TR3A TS39781LO (now totaled :(
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
71 Stag LE2013LBW awaiting (manual) gearbox rebuild