[TR] '3a Alternator conversion...

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jun 15 14:23:46 MDT 2010

> it was obvious that just a bolt through the front
> of the alternator was not going to be enough to stop the alternator
> "twisting"
> when i tensioned the belt.

Good thing that was obvious to you, Frank.  It took me several years to
figure it out!  Mine did not twist under static conditions, but apparently
would resonate and vibrate at certain engine rpm and/or road speeds.  The
result was short belt life, until I figured out to run a single bolt through
both of the original generator mounting points, with a piece of pipe to act
as spacer between them.

Odd that you found the original pulley bore too large, I had exactly the
opposite problem.  Had to pay a machine shop to bore it out for me.  My
plans are to use a narrow belt conversion (with harmonic dampener) next time
around.

-- Randall