[TR] '3a Alternator conversion...

Randy&Val DeRuiter deruiterville at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 13 20:53:58 MDT 2010

David-

I converted my TR4 to an alternator a couple of years ago and have never
regretted it.  The combination of a fairly weak generator, and a fairly old
starter that drew too much current was the deciding point for me.  I recommend
the tech areas on the VTR website to get the wiring details down for the GM
conversion.  You do not have to go to a thin belt if you don't want to, I use
a standard belt, there is a wide pulley that can be put on the delco unit that
works perfectly.  Don't have the website handy to point to it, but those
pulleys are on ebay as well.  If you have trouble sourcing it, just email me
and I'll hunt down a link.

For my 59 3A, I'm planning on putting in a smaller Denso alternator.  I think
the delco unit would work, but I've seen pictures where the space is very
tight.  In my case also, I am going to try out a thin belt setup, so the Denso
unit is a fairly easy add on (I think).

Regards,
Randy DeRuiter
64 TR4