[TR] TR3 Electric Fuel Pump Mounting

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Tue Jun 15 13:43:58 MDT 2010

     The wire leading to my generic electric fuel pump broke right near the
entrance to the housing. I am considering replacing it and moving the
location. I originally located it under the tank, but couldn't see it or feel
it to see if it was running. I couldn't see the filter either. Then I moved it
to the front left wheel arch, but it was higher than the tank and I thought
that it vapor locked on a hot day. I put it down lower, on the frame by the
oil filter housing, but it gets drenched in oil there.
     I've been considering mounting it on the right rear inner fender wall in
the trunk. It will be easy to install, inspect, keep clean and maintain. The
wall location will help prevent it from damage from things in the trunk being
set on it. Has anyone else done this?
     I had a classic Mini Cooper for awhile and had an electronic SU fuel pump
(no points). I checked with 7ent.com (where I bought it) and they no longer
carry them. The do have the ones with points, but I think that it might be a
maintenance problem. I am thinking about buying one of these: