[TR] Crash Gear Box

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Tue Jun 15 08:31:40 MDT 2010

You are correct.  A "crash box" is a transmission with no syncromesh.

Often you will hear someone describe and early TR or Sprite as having a "crash first" (implying that they have syncro on the higher gears.

Some race setups have a crash box with undercut engagement dogs with wide spacing.  They are much easier to shift without using the clutch than shifting a normal street transmission without the clutch.   Downside of these "dog boxes" is that there is a lot of slop back and forth in the driveline when cruising.  Annoying on the road, but not a factor in a race box because you are virtually always under power.

1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UB "uncle jack"
1979 Caterham Super Seven
2004 Suburban 8.1
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4
pethier [at] comcast [dot] net