[TR] '3a Alternator conversion...

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Mon Jun 14 16:22:06 MDT 2010

>As I get back into the '3a, I think an alternator conversion is needed,
>while the jenny was cool for looks, it simply didn't provide the power
>to needed for normal usage and didn't cycle the battery enough.  Is
>there webpage that is recent on installing a GM/Delco three wire
>alternator.  Also, is it advisable to go the thin belt conversion at the
>same time?  Where can I get replacement pulleys then for the water pump
>and crank?

I'm coming in on this late, but what the hay, why change the life cycle now, eh?

I stayed stock with a rebuilt generator...for a time.  ..Until I ran the car in the fall, driving to work in the morning in the dark, driving home at night in the dark, and finding that using the lights and running the motor left me with a dead battery after, I forget, two weeks?

Did the GM alternator conversion and never regretted it.  Well, except when I discovered one of the wires I'd used didn't stand up to vibration because the strands were too big, leaving me beside the road fabricating a new connector.  Now cured and forgotten.

I didn't bother with the thin belt conversion, but don't see why not.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire