[TR] Teflon washers in SU Carbs

Hans de Ferrante tr3 at roadrunner.com
Sun Jun 13 17:10:23 MDT 2010

Re: 1961 TR3a with S U, type H6 carbs.
I heard during a TR gathering, that there are teflon washers available
in lieu of the old cork or neoprene cup washers that seal the jet. It
seems that the  leaky carbs with the consequential gas (sorry, petrol)
smelly garages and sometimes houses is quite a common complaint. I
have tried soaking the cork washers in oil as long as 3 days, but it
helped only temporarily; the neoprene washers helped but made the
choke hard to operate. Could not find anything in the Moss or Victoria
catalogs or on line, other than that they were standard on the later
types and probably not the same.
Has anyone ever tried these and with what results?

Thanks,

Hans deFer