[TR] Stock TR4 exhaust with header

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jun 8 17:46:03 MDT 2010

> What are the odds that the tubular header is a direct replacement for
> the factory cast iron manifold and head pipe?

About zero, IMO.  But you might be able to fabricate a connector pipe that
would work.

> Any thoughts?!

I quit messing with "factory" exhaust systems some 10 years ago, and I'll
never go back.  My local muffler shop can build whatever I want from parts,
and generally the price installed is not much more than I would pay for the
parts & shipping.  I just hate messing with exhaust stuff; while he has the
tools and techniques to make it look easy.  It's only mild steel; but now
without lead in the fuel, it seems like mild steel lasts nearly forever.

The single glasspack system he put on my TR3A in 2000 still looks perfect;
in fact I might have reused it except I wanted a bit mellower sound for the
TR3.  So he built a dual glasspack system, rather similar to the original
except with heavy gauge, aluminized seamless mufflers: $200 out the door.
Best of all, I only waited an hour and didn't even get my hands dirty (not
to mention hair, eyes, etc.)  And the sound is just perfect IMO, none of the
buzzing or booming that I hear others complain of with SS systems.

Randall