[TR] 1976 TR6 - Electrical Connections to solenoid

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jun 7 03:30:41 MDT 2010

> On
> the solenoid I can see the main feed from the battery(thick
> cable) and then 2
> spade terminals. One spade terminal appears to be the feed
> from the ignition
> switch and I have reconnected that one. Not sure what should
> be on the other
> spade connector as there is nothing on it at the moment.
>
> Any ideas???

According to Dan's diagram at
http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf
a 76 should have two other spade connectors; one of which gets a
white/yellow wire from the coil; the other gets a white/orange wire from the
"bulb test" relay and from the "seat belt warning" module.

> What do I need connected to the solenoid as a minimum to get
> it to turn over
> on the key?

Only the white/red from the ignition switch is required for the engine to
start and run.

The white/yellow only provides for somewhat easier starting in cold weather;
the white/orange makes the EGR and Brake warning lamps come on while
cranking the engine.  It also does something with the seatbelt warning
and/or buzzer, but I'm not sure what.

My suggestion would be to hook up a meter or test lamp to the existing wire,
and try to verify that it is getting power from the switch when connected to
the starter and the switch is held in the 'start' position.  If so, then
either it's on the wrong terminal (try the other one), or the
solenoid/starter is defective.  If not, then you've got a wiring/switch
problem.

Randall