[TR] TR3 SU Tuning Problems

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Sat Jul 17 23:58:00 MDT 2010

     I recently had some fuel contamination that clogged my H6 SU's on my
TR3A. I blew out the Grose jets with compressed air. I also pulled the domes
and pistons and blew the jet hole out gently with compressed air. Afterwards,
the car idled worse and would die. It appears to be smoking now. When I rev it
with the car stopped, I get a big puff of dark smoke. I pulled the plugs and
they all had black soot on them. It really wasn't running all that smooth
before I clogged the carbs.     I can smell lots of unburned gas.
     The engine idles rough and really shakes. I am having trouble setting the
air flow with the German flow meter that Moss sells.     I am running lean
needles because he engine has always seemed to run rich at the 5,000 elevation
where I live. The needles are set correctly in the piston.     As a quick
check I measured the fuel levels in the float bowls after turning the engine
off and the levels were the same at 9/16th to the top of the float. The car
wasn't on level ground at the time. I'll probably check the float lever
settings tomorrow.     I see no leaks.     What really perplexes me is if I
lift the rear piston up abruptly with my finger the engine stumbles and then
begins revving. If I lift the front piston up abruptly, nothing happens. If I
lift it about 1/16th inch, the engine idle increases slightly.     Another
problem I have is that I can't seem to adjust the rear mixture. It appears
that the jet bearing body is spinning
 in the carb housing and I can't tighten the nut up on it. Any way around
this?     Maybe the cork gaskets or no longer sealing or were damaged during
the compressed air blow out.     It's been about 20,000 miles since I last
rebuilt the jet assembly. Maybe it is time again. I haven't had much trouble
tuning these SU's in the past.     Maybe I am thinking backwards. When the
mixture nut is in (spring compressed) then the mixture should be lean,
right?     Very frustrated. The wife is complaining and telling  me to sell it
(as always) and buy a real car. It has been my daily driver for the last year.
I have had it on the road now for 17 years.     If I can't come up with a
quick fix, I guess that I'll have to do a complete tune-up with ignition,
plugs, valve clearances and and rebuilt jet assemblies.     Any ideas?
TIA,
     Bill in Tehachapi