[TR] TR4 Caliper Rebuild & Heater Pipe Questions

James Henningsen trguy at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jul 14 19:02:29 MDT 2010

First, I am in the processing of rebuilding my 62 TR4 calipers.  What is on
the car is a 16P caliper with locking pins for the brake pads.  I have new
stainless pistons and rebuild kits from TRF. The pistons are now out.  What is
the best way to clean/refresh the piston chambers in the calipers?  Should I
remove the bolts and split the caliper halves?

Secondly, I am replacing the heater water pipe that runs from the water pump
housing to the back of the engine near the heater valve.  The old one was an
aluminum replacement and it was shot.  It had a flared end that fit into the
water pump housing and secured by the nut with the center opening.  The new
stainless replacement has a normal "cut" end pipe without a flared end.  How
do I attach this to the pump housing with the nut when it doesn't have a
flared end?

Thanks in advance,
Jim Henningsen
Mailtand, FL