[TR] tr3 loss of power

Hans de Ferrante tr3 at roadrunner.com
Sat Jul 3 09:06:52 MDT 2010

On Jul 2, 2010, at 7:30 PM, Frank Fisher wrote:

> long story...but here goes
>
> couple months ago the tr3 lost power. at one point
> it quit completely. got out pumped the primer on the fuel pump. got
> in and it
> started and ran good. then it lost power again and then it got it
> back, lost
> power.......got it back...etc. it limped and ran and got me home.

That sounds almost exactly like what happened to me  with my  TR3A. It
had been in hibernation for 27 years before recent restoration.
Every time I thought I fixed it, it recurred, usually on the highway
going over 60 miles and tromping down on it. After pulling over and
stopping it would usually run o.k. again for a little while and I
could limp home with it.
This was my sequence of events with the problem recurring  every time
between:

1)	Replaced fuel tank, purged fuel lines, filters and rebuilt fuel pump.

2)	Found that the vacuum  piston was sticky at the top position in the
bell chamber of the  second SU carb -- Cleaned and polished the
chamber wall.

3)	Found that the float chamber valve was stuck in the shut position
of the same carb --- replaced it.

4)	Found that the float chamber valve was stuck in the open position
of the same carb. Discovered that the spring loaded tip of needle
assembly had worn a 	 dimple in the float lever arm causing the needle
to misalign and jam ---- carefully sanded and polished the  lever to
remove the dimple ---The needle seemed 	to travel freely, now using
the same needle and seat.

5)	Found that the  same needle was  stuck again in the closed
position and was sticky again. Everything was clean as a whistle . I
replaced it with  a  new seat and needle. I noticed that the second
seat and needle set did not fit as tightly as the first one. I bought
both of them simultaneously from Moss and I suspect that the quality
control of some of this aftermart stuff leaves something to be desired.

I have since driven it for about 250 miles and it hasn't happened
again,  but,  frankly, I still don't  quite trust her enough yet for
any longer trips.
I hope this may help you fix your problem.

Hans