[TR] TR4 caliper piston removal

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 13:06:05 MDT 2010

On 7/1/10, bill bickerton <bbick59 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all, Can someone advise me of the best way (and easiest) to remove the
> pistons from my 64 TR4 brake calipers?

I have always just used the hydraulic system to (nearly) remove them &
do the last bit on the bench.  With pads & rotor in the way likely one
side will want to move out first, you can stop it before it pops out
with a c-clamp or such, then the other side should begin to move.  If
one pops out pretty easy to put it back in long enough to get the
other one moving.

Obviously you have to clamp off the first line before you try this on
the other side of the car.

If they are well & truly stuck (e.g. rusted) then you will need to
resort to some of the more severe & exciting methods.

When PBlaster doesn't free things I usually go with heat -- but have
never had to do that on a brake line.

Geo