[TR] MG vs. Triumph

spook01 at comcast.net spook01 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 24 13:08:18 MST 2010

the leyland managers didn't want two cars with the same powerplant competing
in sales.B  mg wanted to design their own engine, and had a alloy twin cam
that would work, but it had to undergo development .B  by then, there was no
money for development , so a old lcv (and other uses as pointed out) engine
was shoveled over to them.

the carB was redesigned with torsion bar front suspension and other mods to
make the tall old engine fit.B  the car was conceived as a high speed touring
car, but americans thought it was a sports car in the mgb mold.B  it wasn't.B
then engine was (and is) very heavy and doesn't rev that well.

as a result the 'c' was dropped after only two years.

it is a comfy car if you realize it's limitations.B  it is not a chuckable
sportscar , but on the highway, it is a smooth missile.B  not what mg people
wanted.B  esp. that automatic box!!
ray