[TR] MG vs. Triumph

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Sun Jan 24 10:35:04 MST 2010

On 24 Jan 2010 at 15:10, John Macartney wrote:

> Actually Jim, the 3 litre 6 wasn't a new engine...
> Don't know if you have any Austin Westminsters, Austin
> 3 litre saloons or Wolseley 6/110's in the States - but
> if you do find one, check out the engine

Can't say I've ever seen any of those cars.  If I have and ever
looked at the engine I wouldn't have known what I was looking at!  As
for the MGC engine being new, I was paraphrasing something I read in
a review back in the day, one of the car mags lamenting that MG
hadn't used the existing engine from the A-H 3000.  As I recall, the
review implied clearly that MG had designed their own new 3 liter.
Perhaps MG started with an existing engine and designed their own
"application" of it.  Or maybe the writer got it wrong.  Seems to me
we said that a day or to ago about another columnist, didn't we?  Or
maybe I misremember it.  Naw, that's not it.

Thanks for the correction.  Now I'll not sleep a wink until I see a
Wolselsy 6/100.  In my dreams, maybe.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com