[TR] TR4 generator field spade/wire

staffel at comcast.net staffel at comcast.net
Mon Jan 11 00:51:39 MST 2010

>From 1968-2000 my TR4 was also notorious for the field spade wire either 'cracking'at the spade, or the spade popping off -the first due to exhaust manifold heat brittling the plastic wire coating and/or the spade loosining from vbration. Solved the problem by 'upgrading to a 2wire plug Delco alternator (Fiero size)but kept the TR4 wide pulley and new 'farm belt'. Did have to modify the housing/bracket/lower rod However Not a single problem in 10 years! Instructions on VTR web page IIRC!

Oh not actually needing the voltage control regulator (that required replacement every year) - made all the connections in the base of that little black box (krinkled)(guts removed) so still has the stock appearance. Keep spare fuses/key in 35mm plastic film can in there with no issues, a Lucas irony. Also used marine dual 12V outlets mounted on small hardwood flooring panel mounted on inside of  GT6 armrest (where original handbrake arm used to exit) to provide power for GPS/cellphone charger; but still running my 1970 Radio Shack am/fm 8track in glove box!. BTW, had to put the top up for first time in 7 years in E of Shenandoah rainstorm last
Fall, and had less leaks than orig top when at Woodstock in 1969! Talk about
'A Triumph' moment! Smiles to all:
Sherman
Sherman D Taffel
65 TR4 pseudo vintage racer!