[TR] TR4 generator light on

Brian Jones tr4zest at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 04:01:40 MST 2010

Hmmm. The load from 6 tiny dashlights? I know charging capacity is marginal
on TR4s, but I would be surprsed if that would overload the charging system.
I guess you are using 'bright' as a relative term Paul? 'Bright dashlight'
is an oxymoron for TRs, at least in mine.

I think it more likely that after bypassing the rheostat and having it work
for a while, the wires then moved to create a short. Maybe red is now going
to ground. The red wire comes from the fusebox, fed by Red/Green via a fuse.

There is some sort of short if the ignition light is on when the car is
'off'  If the fuse is OK, what happens when you remove it? The red wire is
always hot (has current whether the ignition is on or off). If, when you
remove the fuse, the ignition warning light goes out, then you know he short
is along the red wire. You'll also lose tail/park/licence plate/instrument
lights at the same time.

Maybe this will help? Scroll down to se TR4 loom:
http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr24a.pdf

Brian