[TR] tr3 carpet installation pre 60000

wbeech at flash.net wbeech at flash.net
Fri Feb 26 22:10:44 MST 2010

OK, lets take them in order:

I am about 1/2 way through my carpet install (got stalled by a leaky rear
main)

I glued everything from under the seats back, it should never need to come
off... Hopefully.

I used veltex snaps for the transmission tunnel so I could pull the carpet
nice and tight on both sides, BTW, I bought nice the Wilton Wool from TRF
and still don't like the way it doesn't lay well on the tunnel.

Some people snap the carpet down on the front floorboards and some just let
it lay there.  I have rubber mats to go on top so I am not going to secure
it and see how it goes, if I don't like it I will install the snaps.

Not sure what I will do on the firewall over the trans tunnel but that would
be a good candidate for Velcro for the reasons you mention.

On the front side walls, I have no performed for the indentation but there
is a rubber pad sewn in to prevent excessive wear from your left foot riding
next to the dip switch.  The pieces have a stiff top edge, on my set, so I
am assuming that I will screw the top edge and glue the balance to the side
wall.

The rear closing panel goes over the carpet, you will probably have to cut
slits for the to hold down tabs.

For the speaker hole on the passenger side, there was a blank piece cut and
screwed there by either the factory or a PO.

That's my two cents, I will be looking forward to see what others have done
as well.

Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR-3A TS/30766 L (Rolling restoration)