[TR] TR- non tr

Greg Tatarian gtwincams at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 07:57:08 MST 2010

The definition of NOS has been interpreted differently over the years.
Wikipedia provides one definition as "old parts for obsolete equipment
that have never been sold at retail", (Barron's Educational Series).
For car parts, nowadays it appears to mean New, Old Stock from the
original equipment manufacturer, even if it was relabled and marketed
under a different brand, which happened frequently with imported British
and European cars in the past (think Beck Arnley, Repco). The NOS term
has also previously been used to describe any period-manufactured part,
whether OEM or not, but as time has passed, people are looking for more
specificity.
A part made by another manufacturer as a replacement part during the
same production period as the vehicle and/or new OEM parts is now more
commonly called New, Old Replacement Stock. If your timing chain was
made by Stanpart, it would be NOS.
Parts made in recent years are called Replacement Parts. If your timing
chain was made by another manufacturer in recent years, it would
therefore be referred to as a Replacement Part.
Don't count on using an original part number unless you have the
cross-reference books, as many numbers changed over the years, for
various reasons.
There does seem to be some ambiguity in these terms, so I expect that
there will be others with different definitions. These are how I
understand them.
Cheers,
Greg Tatarian