[TR] Covered Trailer and MI

kingscreektrees at aol.com kingscreektrees at aol.com
Thu Feb 11 18:26:41 MST 2010

My advice would be to make sure you get a trailer that seems a bit bigger than
you need. I had a 16ft open landscaping trailer and it was dead easy to get
the car on, plenty of space around it, in front of it and behind it, to get it
secured. I've now gone to a 20 footer for my equipment, but I also bought a
used 13ft tandem axle enclosed trailer with a 6ft wide bed that was custom
made for a friend who used to have a TR3A like mine. When he specified the
trailer, he looked at the car's dimensions and had the trailer made just a
tiny bit bigger, all around, than the car. The result is a nice, compact
trailer but it is a complete pain to get the car on, get out of the car, and
get it secured.

If I were buying another enclosed trailer to put my TR in, it would be at
least 6.5 feet wide, preferably wider, and it would be 16ft long. I know that
sounds excessive but from a securing standpoint, it's always best to have the
straps or chains as horizontal as possible as they go from the car to the
tie-downs. With my 13-footer, the straps are almost vertical and that means
they have a bit of freedom to rotate a little on the tie-downs, so the car can
move back and forth a bit.

Tim
'57 TR3A, '65 Volvo PV544 Sport, '51 Chev 3-ton, '91 Mustang Convertible
redneckmobile