[TR] Bummer Day

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Feb 7 21:29:31 MST 2010

> Any suggestions?   Can it be filled and re-tapped?

Should be no problem putting a Helicoil (or equivalent) in there.  My local
full-line auto parts store (not Kragen, etc.) carries them, or any
industrial supply should have them.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#91732a926/=5q0kw9

Probably best to remove the sealing block from the engine, though, and use a
drill press if you've got one.  In an emergency, though, I've been known to
just use the special tap as a reamer, and not drill at all.  The stripped
part of the hole is already almost the right size, so it's easy to start the
tap.  Then when it hits the unstripped part at the bottom, go carefully and
only cut for 1/4 turn or less before backing up to break the chip.

Remember not to bottom the insert in the hole, as the last few threads are
not cut full depth.  You can use needle-nose pliers to break the tang and
pull it out; plus a Dremel tool with an abrasive cutoff blade works well to
trim any excess insert length.  I also like to use a few drops of Loctite on
the outside of the insert, to lock it into the hole (although this probably
isn't really necessary).

The insert is actually stronger than the original threads (or so I'm told).
In fact, we used to routinely install them in cast aluminum housings, to
avoid having the holes stripped in the field.

Randall