[TR] Is "grunt" torque?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Feb 7 09:28:37 MST 2010

> >Pretty close.  But IMO that massive flywheel also
> contributes to 'grunt',
> >while technically it doesn't change the steady-state torque
> available.
>
> But it does contribute to instantaneous torque.

Or detract from it, if you are trying to accelerate without popping the
clutch.

> As long as it's measured at a steady state.  I don't know about you,
> but I rarely drive at a steady state... <g>

Exactly.  But measured torque (and hp) figures are almost always given under
steady-state conditions.
Thus the point I was trying to make : IMO there is more to perceived "grunt"
than is told by a torque curve.

> In "simple" terms, torque is a force, and horsepower is how fast that
> force can be applied.

That's a little too simple, IMO.  (Horse)power is force times speed.

Randall