[TR] Is "grunt" torque?

Jeff Scarbrough fishplate at charter.net
Sun Feb 7 06:38:00 MST 2010

At 02:21 AM 2/7/2010, Randall wrote:
> > I've been reading about the differences between torque and
> > horsepower.
> > Some TRs are often referred to as having "grunt."  Is that torque?
>
>Pretty close.  But IMO that massive flywheel also contributes to 'grunt',
>while technically it doesn't change the steady-state torque available.

But it does contribute to instantaneous torque.

>Just switching to a lightweight flywheel makes the TR3 motor much less
>"tractor like", without actually changing the measured torque or horsepower.

As long as it's measured at a steady state.  I don't know about you,
but I rarely drive at a steady state... <g>

>Torque is kind of like electrical current; power is either current times
>voltage, or torque times rpm.

For some values of torque.  Yes, it doesn't add to the numbers as
typically published, but it can contribute to the fun, at the cost of
smoothness vs. rapid engine speed changes.  Which is, of course, why
there are different sizes.

In "simple" terms, torque is a force, and horsepower is how fast that
force can be applied.

Jeff Scarbrough      75 TR6 x 1, 76 1500 x 2, 78 1500 x 1, 80 1500 x 0.5
http://www.fishplate.org/vehicles/
Corrosion Acres, Georgia         #354