[TR] u-joint

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Dec 30 16:50:35 MST 2010

> How in
> the H is one supposed to get the caps off?

I find that by the time the U-joint cross bottoms against the yoke, it only
takes a tiny bit more to get the cap out.  Easiest for me is to clamp the
protruding cap in my bench vise, and wiggle the yoke a bit to work the cap
out.

Don't forget to remove the grease zerk first (if present).

> Actually,
> these joints seem pretty tough and I'm wondering if many
> people have trouble
> with U-joints.

I have had a few failures over the years, but not many.  Seem to usually be
associated with dirt and corrosion inside the cups, probably caused by not
greasing them often enough (especially after driving in the wet).

Unfortunately, about half the time, the joints fail by locking up, which
forces the caps to rotate in the yokes.  If not caught quickly, the result
is wearing out the yokes.  So part of my periodic maintenance is to check
for shiny spots on the caps (where the circlips touch them).

-- Randall