[TR] Clutch Clevis update

Dave Connitt dconnitt at fuse.net
Thu Dec 30 15:58:37 MST 2010

Hi List,
Just thought I would follow up with the recent problem I had with the clutch clevis I received.
The problem was that when the pin is threaded into the clevis, it went off crooked and it appeared that the two holes are not drilled in a line to allow the pin to be perpendicular to the clevis. I was concerned that using the part as supplied would create a binding of the clutch linkage. After contacting the supplier I bought the part from, he said the whole bin full was pretty much the same quality as what I have so I decided to just correct what I have and he gave me a credit for the part.
After some more careful measurement, the holes are correctly positioned but the threads in the one hole appear to be done at a slight angle, not straight. So, when the pin is threaded into the hole, the pin is angled up and won't completely engage the smaller hole on the other side. Luckily, I had purchased a set of rethreading taps and dies from Sears so I ran a tap thru the threads in the clevis making sure I was going in straight. When I was done, the pin ran in straight and engaged the small hole on the other side perfectly! I am going to call the supplier and let him know what I had to do to correct the part.

One question to you guys is should I put any kind of lubricant on the pin when I assemble it?
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A IRS
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a