[TR] U-joints - which ones & how to prep

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Dec 28 21:18:21 MST 2010

> They are much stronger and are thus preferred by
> Europa owners who have a lot reason to want the strongest,
> since the U-joints are part of the suspension on these cars.

That likely means they are also after the differential and hence the stress
is greatly increased (roughly 4 times!).  Most likely, they also work around
sharper corners than a TR driveshaft does, which also increases the stress.

But I've never seen a TR2-4 with a broken driveshaft U-joint, so I can't see
that extra strength is any benefit in that application.

And frankly, even the few driveshaft U-joints I have managed to break
(behind big American V8's) broke at the trunnion rather than through the
grease fitting.

-- Randall