[TR] Rear wheel studs, TR2--4a

Dan Cronin adcronin at mi.rr.com
Tue Dec 28 14:29:08 MST 2010

I have installed RATCO (nfi) rear tube shock conversion brackets on my "resto-mod" TR2 project car and am using Vredestein Sprint Classic 185/70R15 tires on Panasport 5.5 x 15" rims.  In order to get appro. 1/4"-3/8" clearance between the tire sidewall and the edge of the tube shock vertical arm, I need to use appro. 3/8" spacers against the rear disk (Revington rear disk brake conversion kit) and between the rim.  The standard length rear wheel studs (threaded into hubs on side-screen cars and live axle TR4-A's) only permit about 4 to 5 turns of the stud nut.  For 7/16" diameter studs, 8.5 turns are the minimum and I would like to get up to around 10-12 turns.

I purchased 1/2" longer than standard studs from Cambridge a short time back after inquiring if they would work in early TR's.  When they arrived I discovered they were knurled (appro. .519" diameter) and not threaded.  I suppose I could once again remove the axle half shafts/hubs and have the stud holes drilled out to just under the .519" and then have the knurled studs pressed in, but am wondering if anyone has encountered this de-lima and how you went about resolving it.  Am also wondering why the early cars had threaded rear studs and the TR5-7 went to knurled.....

Thanks to all who may have helpful suggestions/solutions/ideas, and no, I am not interested in going back to 55 year old setup.   I dealt with that with this very same TR2 in the mid 60's!
Dan