[TR] Timing cover goop; Moss quality; message delivery

Brian Jones tr4zest at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 14:41:56 MST 2010

My TR4 came goopless on the timing cover. I've seen other engines with goop,
and it looks like a scooped handful, a dollop, on the cover. I don't know
what the material was, but the Spit cover that I picked at was fibrous.
Maybe it was asbestos? I think a dense epoxy mix should be a reasonable
facsimile, like those bars that are like a stick of rock that you mix
together. I'm sure we can find cheaper, but this is illustrative:
http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Epoxy-Stick-stick-PRICE/dp/B00065TLHC

On Moss quality, I've only very rarely been disappointed, and I have bought
dozens and dozens of things, like all here, over a number of years. They
have always responded well, and lets remember: we have a symbiotic
relationship. We wouldn't have a hobby without them, they wouldn't have a
business without enthusiasts like us. Randall is right, the cost of
part-by-part quality control would kill-off my participation in this
endeavour. My experience is that if something doesn't work or doesn't fit,
give them a call. They will respond.

I sometimes find even short messages don't reach the list. In hindsight, in
my case, this is usually to the benefit of the list.

Merry Christmas,

Brian