[TR] Timing Cover Seal

akgraves at cox.net akgraves at cox.net
Thu Dec 23 12:42:55 MST 2010

> And it actually is somewhat effective. When my engine came back from a
> rebuild a few years ago stripped of it's sound-deadening material, I
> adjusted the valves over and over again trying to get rid of the clatter
> before it dawned on me that I was actually hearing the sound of the timing
> chain.
>
> Dan Julien
> 1970 TR6
> CC50337L

I'm glad to know this.  I have installed two rebuilt engines in my TR6 this year and thought both of them had excessive valve clatter - despite adjusting the valves several times.  There was some 'stuff' on my original timing cover, but I removed that because it looked messy.  Maybe I'll add some other material to deaden the sound.  Thanks for sharing your experiences, Dan!

Art Graves
1976 Triumph TR6
Tulsa, OK