[TR] trunk luggage rack TR3

Alex ambritts at bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 12 07:20:35 MST 2010

Here's another alternative to removing the pins without damaging or breaking
the hinge and this can be done on the car as well.

When I added my luggage rack, I had a small cheap (Chinese made) "c" clamp
in my tool box. It was red and about 2" long (we have all seen them). I took
off the foot pad on the screw end. The remaining pointed screw end fit
perfectly on one side of the hinge pin while the clamps opposing pad secured
the hinge and offered a counter balance and support to the hinge. Slowly
applying & tightening down the screw on the "c" clamp pushed the pin out
easily to the point where needle nose pliers could finish the job.

To use this method you need to drill a hole through the "c" clamps base pad
so the pin has a means to move as you turn down the screw. There is no shock
to the hinge body and it works well with the hinge mounted on the car.

A side benefit is now you have a new tool for future hinge work. Total cost
$1 for 2 c-clamps at any junk store.

As a side note, I did not use the bottom clamps that came with the rack, as
they looked like a disaster on fresh paint waiting to happen. No side
effects except the ease of cleaning the boot lid but simply lifting the rack
up. It rests against the gas cap.

Cautionary note on the rubber pads that come with the rack. They WILL stain
the paint. (Clear coat)
Alex Manzo
59 TR3A