[TR] Not TR or BR but we need to know the Difference Between http: and https:

bill_beecher at flash.net bill_beecher at flash.net
Fri Dec 10 09:18:47 MST 2010

I guess I could say this is TR related as we spend plenty of bucks each year
via the internet punching in our credit card number, exp date and that
secret little number on the back for parts and services.

   **The  main difference between http:// and https://  is and it's all
about keeping you secure**   HTTP stands for Hyper Text Transfer
   Protocol.

   The  S (big  surprise)  stands for "Secure"..  If you visit a website or
webpage, and look at the address in the web browser, it
   will likely begin with the following: http:// This  means that the
website is talking to your  browser using
   the regular 'unsecure' language.  In other words, it is possible for
someone to  "eavesdrop" on your computer's conversation with  the
   website. If you fill out a form on the  website, someone might see the
information you  send to that site.

   This  is why you never ever enter your credit card  number in an http
website! But if the web address begins with https://  that
   basically  means your computer is talking to the website in  a secure
code that no one can eavesdrop on.
   You  understand why this is so important, right?

   If  a website ever asks you to enter your credit card information, you
should automatically look  to see if the web
   address begins with https:// .  Also, you should see the padlock icon on
your browser.

   If  it doesn't,  You should NEVER enter  sensitive
   information....such as a credit card  number.