[TR] Fwd: Re: Fwd: TR3 O/D Wiring question

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Dec 5 10:49:00 MST 2010

> The diagram you reference matches the right side of my image
> which is the wiring diagram.

Sorry, my mistake.  Apparently your harness follows the diagram from the
workshop manual:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/TR3driver/Manual%20pages/ODwiringfr
omBentley.jpg
and the diagram that Geo posted (which I believe is from the TR4 owner's
manual).  Either way will work fine.

> It looks like the relay would always be 'hot'

Not sure I follow you here.  One of the relay contacts always gets power,
but as long as the coil does not get both power and ground, the contacts
should remain open and the OD disengaged.

> Do you see any reason that I cannot reroute the C1 feed to
> that line/connection?

That would probably work, but my preference is for a separate fuse for the
OD solenoid.  Using a fuse that is shared with other circuits means there is
significant variation in the current "available" to the OD solenoid; which
introduces the possibility of either nuisance blowing when the other
circuits are drawing power, or the fuse not blowing (fast enough) when the
solenoid contacts fail to open.  Also, if the fuse does blow for no apparent
reason, you don't know as much about where the problem is, whether it's an
intermittent short in the lights or in the wires to the OD or the wrong fuse
size.  Your choice of course, just my $.02.

> I show that the o/d solenoid comes off of C2. do you
> piggyback a ground
> connection from that terminal? That looks like what you have but just
> confirming..

Yeah, that was easiest for me.  It was originally just an experiment, so I
used a "quick and dirty" connection:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103503
But it worked out well, so I left it that way.

Note that the diode polarity needs to be opposite to your chosen ground
polarity.  IOW if you are keeping your car positive ground, connect the
cathode (end with the stripe) of the diode to ground (as Geo showed).  If
you are using negative ground, connect the other (anode) end to ground.

-- Randall