[TR] More Differential Questions

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Aug 26 23:35:17 MDT 2010

> Holding the shaft while trying to remove
> the nut seems difficult.

Not any easier with it still on the diff, IMO.

What I did was drill some holes in a steel bar (from Home Depot) to match
the flange holes.  The bar makes a nice lever to pull, while you push on the
breaker bar or torque wrench.  You'll also need it to do the input flange.
Here's a shot of the bar:
http://tinyurl.com/nv6whs
Although I did clamp it in the bench vise for support, the vise brakes
weren't strong enough to keep it from turning when I tried to turn the nut,
so I still had to hold onto the other end.

> How tight is the nut on?

I don't have my book handy, but it's dang tight.  Seems like it was
somewhere north of 100 ft-lb.

> Can the nuts be re-used?

They probably shouldn't be, as Nylocs lose some of their effectiveness every
time they are removed and reinstalled.  But I didn't have new ones handy, so
I reused mine.  I laid the nut on a solid surface and used a BFH to crush
the Nyloc end just a bit, to force more nylon out.

Randall