[TR] TR3 Howling Noise

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Wed Aug 25 22:38:48 MDT 2010

     It turned out to be the water pump. When I went to troubleshoot it I discovered the pump leaking badly. Fixed now.

     -Bill in Tehachapi

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:35:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: William Brewer <wsb1960tr3a at att.net>
Subject: [TR] TR3 Howling Noise
To: Triumphs <triumphs at autox.team.net>

     So today my TR3A starts to make a howling noise from the engine somewhere. It sounds like someone blowing over the neck of a bottle, but more high pitched. It sounds like it is coming from the left side of the engine, but I am not sure. It is pretty loud and can be heard at idle but appears to diminish with speed.
     I am in the initial phases of troubleshooting. I fear that it might be a spinning bearing or something. I'll run a stethoscope around to see if I can find a general area.
     Any suggestions on troubleshooting?
     TIA,

     Bill in Tehachapi